Oil Filter canister bushings

kjwhitehead

Oil Filter canister bushings

Post by kjwhitehead »

When attempting to do an oil change last night, I noticed that one of the rubber bushings holding on the oil filter canister was broken. I broke the other one trying to get the oil filter canister top removed to change the filter.

Does anyone know if the bushings can be replaced or if I need to replace the entire bracket that has a number of other things attached to it?

It is a 2001 740iL Sport.
Regards,
Kevin

2001 740iL Sport

ThumpersGP

Post by ThumpersGP »

part number is 11 42 1 436 982

most dealers stock them, approx 8 bucks each

Ray

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

To prevent the rubber mounts from breaking again, you can hold, while removing the canister cover, the filter-canister body with either a very large "Channelok" pliers or with an old timing belt clamped in a vise-grip to make a strap wrench. A couple years ago I had photos of this in my NJ newsletter column.

Vic

ThumpersGP

Post by ThumpersGP »

Here's what Vic is talking about !!

http://njbmwcca.org/services/bulletin/a ... 200307.pdf

go to page 5

Ray

kjwhitehead

Success

Post by kjwhitehead »

I picked up the new bushings, installed them, used the channel locks to hold the housing and the oil filter cap is a 36mm socket. Worked well.

One issue remains, I tried to reset the dash oil change readouts by jumping pins 7 and 19 per the oil change instructions on the E38 forum, but it didn't reset. Am I missing something?
Regards,
Kevin

2001 740iL Sport