E36 M3 Anyone try Batteries in Parallel?

stymie

E36 M3 Anyone try Batteries in Parallel?

Post by stymie »

Any one try parallel car batteries in their car with or without issues?

I have a '95 E36 M3 that doesn't get driven that much. Eventually the battery gets low and I don't have a way to charge the battery in the car. i.e. live in a condo with no garage.

Anyone try having a couple batteries in parallel in their car? I know some people do it for high end audio applications. I just don't want my battery to keep going dead due to the alarm being on and not being driven enough. The extra amp hour capacity is why I am thinking parallel batteries.
In parallel, the voltage is the same but it ups the amps.

stix217

Re: E36 M3 Anyone try Batteries in Parallel?

Post by stix217 »

I realize that this doesn’t answer your question but have you thought about a quick disconnect? Obviously your alarm won’t be armed (And you’ll lose radio settings, etc.) but I’ll bet you no one drives away with the car...and no alarm drain on your battery.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... lsrc=aw.ds

stymie

Post by stymie »

@stix217 Not an option to have a quick disconnect. We get people coming through our complex often and going through peoples cars and steeling them too.

warrenbrown

Post by warrenbrown »

How about solar power, I'm pretty sure our autocross chairman uses a small solar cell that sits on the dash to charge the battery when the car is not in use. To be honest I don't know how well it works. You could contact him.

Has the car been checked to be sure you don't have and excess parasitic drain? If you have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter such as a USB charger, they draw current even when not charging your phone.

Warren

stymie

Post by stymie »

I've had an electrical system overhaul that got rid of excess parasitic drain on the battery and fixed connection problem that caused a bigger than normal drop in volts/amps from the alternator to the battery while driving.

I had tried a solar power trickle charger that did nothing for me. But to be fair, that was when I still had some electrical issues. Back then reviews for solar chargers were usually saying they don't really do what they are intended to. But something I can look into again.

jlnmd

Post by jlnmd »

Consider a portable charger/starter. You can charge at home and connect it via your lighter to keep the car battery charged for days or even a few weeks depending on the model.