325 replacement radio

Ross64

325 replacement radio

Post by Ross64 »

the on/ off volume button went on the radio.
would like to replace with a better radio than came stock.
anyone have any experience with this.
It seems replacing a stock with another stock is pretty simple but changing from the BMW spec'd unit requires wiring modifications.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thx
Ross

stix217

Post by stix217 »

Have you tried crutchfield?...they normally make it pretty easy.

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

I've also used Crutchfield a dozen times over the years. Very good phone support if you have questions or want advise, otherwise you can do everything on-line. Prices are very competitive and they throw in wiring and faceplate adapters for free.

Ross64

Post by Ross64 »

Thanks all for the quick responses. I reached out to Crutchfield and will be getting a new radio which will include a few features off the newer cars (Bluetooth, Pandora, etc.)

Getting the old radio out was a piece of cake. There was a youtube video I found. Just pry off the 2 trim pieces on the left and right (right first) then the entire assembly comes out with 2 phillips head screws.

The new head assembly has a few more pieces so I hope assembly is pretty self evident when it arrives. Hopefully I won't have to rip apart more of the dashboard.

Jacksone30

Additional info

Post by Jacksone30 »

I replaced my 99 323i head unit with a pioneer unit for $100.
I found a harness adapter on amazon also for $10 more- made installing it a snap with the color coded wires.

Only drawback on the pioneer unit is the light does not dim - but you can set the color to red.

Awesome for $100 - Bluetooth - speakerphone- USB - the works.

Tim