Window Glass installer wanted in Central/Northern NJ

jont

Window Glass installer wanted in Central/Northern NJ

Post by jont »

I came to my car after work to find that the back window glass had cracked and shattered. I have no idea what caused it, other than maybe temp differential inside and outside of the car.

When I got home, I cleaned up as much glass as I could without a vacuum, and plastic'ed up the window. Hopefully the racer's tape will hold it in place. for a day or two of driving.

Anyway, I need new glass. I have the rear defroster embedded in the glass.

Can anyone recommend a good installer that will either come to me and install it during work hours, or at home? Given the snow we're supposed to get, should I hold off on having it done until it's dry?

How much can I expect to pay for this? I've heard I could get a replacement windshield for somewhere in the $300 range, so I can guess the back glass is the same, or cheaper. Is there any trick to reattaching the defroster connection, wherever it is?

Jon

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

Jon,

I think I am going to try a shop in Bound Brook for the windshields in our cars (I need 2 - look down several posts). You could try Safelite (www.safelite.com) - they manufacture their own glass and are competetively priced.

BTW, what car?

Mark

jont

Post by jont »

mderienzo wrote:Jon,

I think I am going to try a shop in Bound Brook for the windshields in our cars (I need 2 - look down several posts). You could try Safelite (www.safelite.com) - they manufacture their own glass and are competetively priced.

BTW, what car?

Mark
Oh, sorry, it's an '87 325is (e30)

Jon
ps- what's the shop in Bound Brook?

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

The shop in Bound Brook is Bart's Glass Shop. 732-356-2492. I spoke to Tony. He seemed to know exactly what he needed to do on both the BMW and Volvo. He even insisted on having me supply new lockstrip and gasket from BMW since the aftermarket stuff is not up to par (in his opinion). I haven't been to the shop yet or experienced their work, but I do plan to have them do both of my cars.

I have a rear window from a 1989 325i - Glass is perfect and defroster works - $50 if you're interested, e-mail me offline.

jont

Post by jont »

mderienzo wrote:The shop in Bound Brook is Bart's Glass Shop. 732-356-2492. I spoke to Tony. He seemed to know exactly what he needed to do on both the BMW and Volvo. He even insisted on having me supply new lockstrip and gasket from BMW since the aftermarket stuff is not up to par (in his opinion). I haven't been to the shop yet or experienced their work, but I do plan to have them do both of my cars.

I have a rear window from a 1989 325i - Glass is perfect and defroster works - $50 if you're interested, e-mail me offline.
Mark,

Thanks, I'd prefer to go new. This morning, I went to two local shops, Pro Auto Glass in Middlesex, and Bart's.

I got a better feeling, and better price, from Bart's, so I'm having the work done there. Bart's wanted to let the work sit and cure for a few hours, and 'Pro' was talking about being in-and-out in an hour. Bart's seemed more professional, and their cost was $210 installed, not including the molding and trim.

I'm having it done tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jon

jont

Post by jont »

The window's in, for $210 installed. Seems pretty reasonable - the other place I contacted was $285, but also included the moulding. Bart's re-used the old moulding.