engine change

dpk1000

engine change

Post by dpk1000 »

A silly question perhaps, but-how hard is it to pull the engine on an e36 ?

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

This is an extremely subjective question. The level of difficulty is inversely proportional to the level of your experience and the level of equipment in your work environment. The more experience you have, the easier it will be. If you are working outside or confined to a one car garage with limited tools and no heat, this job will be more difficult than if you are working in a fully equipped, heated shop. Help from friends who have done this before would be valuable.

Also, you asked about pulling an engine. Pulling the engine is actually quite easy. Getting it back in, and the car running again, is another story. For example, if the intention is to pull the engine and take it to a shop to have it installed in another car, I’d say go for it – just use caution as engines have many delicate parts and weigh several hundred pounds. It is easy to break small, expensive parts and hurt yourself in the process (ask me how I know).

Whatever you decide, good luck.

dpk1000

Post by dpk1000 »

Sorry-I should have phrased the question differently.

First, the objective to pull an old engine that failed at high mileage and replace it with another.

Second, I have more than a fair amount of experience with autos, motorcycles and machinery as large as locomotives. I have thirty years worth of hand tools in my rollaway.

There are a few issues that concern me. For one, I would have to work outside. Another issue is the attendant 'quirks and obstacles' that will have to be surmounted in order to complete the job. BMW seems to have a 'different view of reality' in terms of design vs. most of the American makes that I've encountered.

For example, the book says that the trans has to be remove in order to pull the engine. Not an easy thing to do at home when the car in question can't be easily moved.

And yes, most times it is far simpler to remove than to replace. That is also part of my point, or question.