M62 Valley Pan Gasket/Seal Replacement

sgoatley2001e46

M62 Valley Pan Gasket/Seal Replacement

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Does anyone have experience doing this repair at home as a DIY'er, or is it a professional job and not for the weekend wrencher?

Also, some quick internet searching shows that this is silicone seal, and not an actual gasket. True or false? Is there an updated part that's actually now a gasket?

What else should/would be done at the same time?

Thanks,
Scott

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Scott,

You can do it but it is a big job. Take a look at a manual to see if you want to tackle it. If I remember correctly there is a gasket attached to the pan.

Mark

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

There are no real special tools. Expect it to take an ENTIRE weekend. But if you have this and timing guide issues, I still think pulling the engine is the easiest way to do all this. I paid 8 hours shop time to have the valley pan gasker done at Flemington (well acutally the after market warranty paid) for a total of about $1400 for the job.

There are special gaskets, plus a plastic baffle that usually needs to be replaced. I use to have DIY links to both timing chain guide replacement and valley gasket but they no longer work...
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

This job is more straightforward than the timing chain/guides you asked about.

On the back of the intake is the infamous PCV plate. I would consider changing this while the manifold is off.

Be sure to use an OE replacement gasket for the valley cover.

-Vic

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Hey, thanks for the replies. My M62 questions are all in regard to pre-purchase investigating... I'm seriously considering a 540i right now.

Vic - Thanks for the tip. I did some research after posting here, and found a semi decent video of the gasket repair on an 1997 e38. It does look straight forward. I don't think it'd be a job I could personally complete in 1 day, but it doesn't appear to be beyond my level of capability. I think with a Bentley manual, the right OE parts, and a TON of patience, I could do it.

Keith - who did you use for an aftermarket warranty? That's a factor I'm considering if I buy the 540. I purchased a warranty for my e46 a few years ago, and felt kinda cheated once I needed it. I think I paid just about 1800 for it, and needed it for a $4K transmission rebuild. The warranty only paid $2K, and I was stuck for the balance. Granted, I could have read the contract closer, but I'd still like a better program.

Mark - thank you too! I appreciate all the help from fellow club members.

Scott