Post overheat issues - 525i Cooling System

Straylight

Post overheat issues - 525i Cooling System

Post by Straylight »

I haven't run my 525i for any length of time after the last overheat but I wonder if damage was done to the head. Keeping the system cool with a hose, I let the engine reach operating temperature. I noticed that there seems to be visible steam coming from the exhaust pipes, enough to cause water to drip from the tips. If I put the pedal down, it makes a small cloud.
Have I blown the head gasket and/or warped the head?
1995 525i
1997 M3

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

A vapor cloud and liquid water from the exhaust in this weather would make me think of a leaking head gasket or cyl.-head problem.

When you say you kept the system cool with a hose, what exactly did you do?

-Vic

Straylight

Testing phase and epilogue

Post by Straylight »

I uncoupled the upper radiator hose from the radiator and put the hose in it. Then, I uncoupled the lower radiator hose and let the water drain, allowing a complete circuit through the system.
Since I first posted this thread, I replaced the radiator, thermostat, hoses and fan clutch. This, to avoid unscheduled work in the future, being that the car was used and it's repair history unknown.
I after refilling and bleeding the system, I let the car idle up to temperature and for about 20 minutes after that. The temperature remained stable. The moisture cloud remains, however. I'm going to keep an eye on the coolant level over the course of a week and see what happens.
Additionally, the dash display now reads "coolant level" though it's topped off. I wonder if the sender is hooked up correctly.
1995 525i
1997 M3

Straylight

Strange Brew

Post by Straylight »

Things have definitely taken a turn to the bizarre. It's been two days since the cooling system retrofit and strangeness persists. Despite having been thoroughly bled and topped off, the "Coolant Level" warning is still displayed after starting and shutdown. Additionally, during the first 10 minutes or so of driving, the temperature will soar toward the red zone, once actually causing the "Coolant Temperature" warning to be displayed. Then, the temperature will drop back to the halfway mark and remain there regardless of acceleration rate, speed or unmoving idle time.
1995 525i
1997 M3

Straylight

Uh Oh

Post by Straylight »

The car overheated again. This time the temperature went up and stayed up. I had to turn around and head back home. I'm guessing it's the water pump; the only thing I didn't change recently.
1995 525i
1997 M3