E39 headlight adjustment

stanleyc

E39 headlight adjustment

Post by stanleyc »

OK now I will post this in the correct forum. I posted this message in the 3 series column this morning. So now let me get to the message. I replaced all the headlight adjusters on my 2001 530i with Xenon lights. Now I am trying to align the headlights. I have no problem with the up and down part but I need some information on how to adjust the left and right part. Is there a procedure that anyone knows of how to do this? Also while I had the lights I used some #2000 sandpaper and a light rubbing compound to clean the dirt and scratches from the lens. There seems to be a coating on the lens that is not coming off entirely. Has anybody run into this, and if so how was it rectified. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :?:

RAYADAM

Re: E39 headlight adjustment

Post by RAYADAM »

stanleyc wrote:OK now I will post this in the correct forum. I posted this message in the 3 series column this morning. So now let me get to the message. I replaced all the headlight adjusters on my 2001 530i with Xenon lights. Now I am trying to align the headlights. I have no problem with the up and down part but I need some information on how to adjust the left and right part. Is there a procedure that anyone knows of how to do this? Also while I had the lights I used some #2000 sandpaper and a light rubbing compound to clean the dirt and scratches from the lens. There seems to be a coating on the lens that is not coming off entirely. Has anybody run into this, and if so how was it rectified. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :?:
There's a adjuster for lateral adjustment closer to the fender(upper/outer corner of the lamp assembly) and the one you already found is mounted in the upper/center of headlamp.

Just be sure car is level,loaded with fuel is best and if possible a driver in the seat(150-200lbs is usually what should be loaded)
when adjusting xenon self levelling lamps.don't try to adjust until lamp has been on for at least a minute and load in drivers seat has not moved during that period.

I am not too sure about the severity of the lens, some can be polished and if not successful,replacing the lamp assembly is the only other option.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stanleyc

E39 headlight adjustment

Post by stanleyc »

Thanks for the information. I know where the adjuster is, I am trying to find out how to adjust the convergence of the light down the road. I had it out last night on a dark back road and they look good. This is my first experience with Xenon lights and I am not sure what to look for.

RAYADAM

Re: E39 headlight adjustment

Post by RAYADAM »

stanleyc wrote:Thanks for the information. I know where the adjuster is, I am trying to find out how to adjust the convergence of the light down the road. I had it out last night on a dark back road and they look good. This is my first experience with Xenon lights and I am not sure what to look for.
there are several methods,maybe this will help you:

http://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/hsis/pubs/04148/aiming.htm
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stanleyc

Post by stanleyc »

Thank you for the information. I just read through most of it and it will give me a starting point, and the rest will personal preference.