Bilstein 'life time warranty' shock coverage

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
awbusch

Bilstein 'life time warranty' shock coverage

Post by awbusch »

I wondered if anyone had any experience and success with getting the 'life time warranty' coverage for their Bilstein shocks? After about 5 years and about 40K miles later, my HD shocks I purchased and installed on my E46 330Xi are now terribly soft and obviously in need of replacement. I purchased them from Bav Auto and they have referred me to Bilstein for warranty coverage. Bilstein asked me to ship them back, which I'll do this week. Thanks for any advice, experience, etc. Art
Art Busch

kbsilver

Re: Bilstein 'life time warranty' shock coverage

Post by kbsilver »

I've had warranty replacements by Koni originally purchased from an on-line shock vendor. I was able to do a pre ship where they charged me for the replacements but refunded the charge when they received the defective ones back. Although they were listed for the application the FSD shocks were not suitable for the service on my sport 540iT with heavy engine and high rate springs, which wore them completely out in 10K miles. They upgraded to heavy duty shocks which solved the problem.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

It is an almost impossible task.

Six months ago my HD rear stock came apart on my e39 Touring

From April of 2018 to Sept 2018, I was going back for forth with the warrant folks. In the end, I went and purchased Koni, and going forward it will be Koni struts and shocks. See last message I received.
They wanted pictures of my car, pictures on the shocks installed on the car, receipt of purchase, and the list goes on and on. All that for some $90. shocks. Not worth it.

John.Trexler@thyssenkrupp.com
Attachments
Sep 18, 2018, 6:18 PM
to me, Lisa.Ciacci, Junior.Africa, Michael.Ritchie

Hello Sir,

My apologies you are unsatisfied with our warranty policies but we cannot simply supply new shocks without a proper evaluation of the old product. If you have already replaced the shock on the vehicle you are more than welcome to send us the old one for a warranty evaluation. If the shock is found faulty due to a manufacturing defect we can replace/repair the shock.

Please keep in mind we can only warranty parts that have a manufacturing defect. If the shock is physically broken or there are signs of abuse we cannot replace.(Warranty Guidelines Attached)

If you do send the old shock back to us please include the completed form and a copy of your purchase invoice. You can send the shock to the following address:

BILSTEIN OF AMERICA
14102 STOWE DRIVE
POWAY, CA. 92064

ATTN: WARRANTY DEPT.

Thanks so much.
Attachments
bilsteinHD2.gif
bilsteinHD2.gif (155.24 KiB) Viewed 7442 times

m20power

Post by m20power »

I had easy replacement twice, but for leaking shocks. Bought from authorized dealer who sent me replacement after seeing photo of leaking shock; swapped and returned leaker in same box - did 2x. The failed shocks were ~10 yrs old. Never dealt with Bilstein direct. I guess it depends on where you buy.
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!

awbusch

Post by awbusch »

As a follow up... Good news to share on my Bilstein shock life-time warranty request. It took a few weeks, but after Bilstein USA reviewed the defective (very soft) HD shocks from my E46 330Xi, they approved warranty coverage and mailed to me a new set of HD rear units. I'm grateful, a happy customer and glad there are still companies that offer 'life-time' warranties.
Art Busch