F22 M Adaptive Suspension

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
nj325ci

F22 M Adaptive Suspension

Post by nj325ci »

Related Note : I had to post this under "Other" because we don't have a 2 series technical category yet (unless I missed it).

I recently picked up a 228i with M Adaptive Suspension as part of the track package. Is there any indication at this stage on what to expect from a maintenance and ultimately replacement perspective compared to typical shocks/struts?

Thanks, Bill

nj325ci

Re: F22 M Adaptive Suspension

Post by nj325ci »

On second pass I see that F20 is included in the 1 series tech catagory

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

nj325ci wrote:I recently picked up a 228i with M Adaptive Suspension as part of the track package. Is there any indication at this stage on what to expect from a maintenance and ultimately replacement perspective compared to typical shocks/struts?
Bill,
Congrats on the new toy!

As to M adaptive suspension durability - double welcome to the guinea pig population! It simply hasn't been out long enough to know how long the shocks last, or what the typical failure mode looks like. The last part is actually good news, as it appears they don't fail prematurely.

The most mileage, I am aware of, that someone has put on MAS is 45K on F8x chassis, with no complaints.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love mine, and think it is the best $1K value on BMW optional features menu. It works really well on streets and on track, but eventually, all things break.

a

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Do you really want to know?

Expect nearly an order of magnitude increase in replacement cost compared to conventional dampers. Search for replacement costs for Corvette adjustable shocks for a domestic comparison.
ImageImage

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

As usual Ed is correct

Looks like a rear shock for M Adaptive is 37126861777 and $245 online (dealership parts dept), compared to $111 (dealership parts dept) for the standard rear shock

A front shock is 37106866515 and 37106866516 and $275 online (dealership parts dept), compared to $163 (ECS)

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

edw1

Post by edw1 »

BJerolimic wrote:As usual Ed is correct

Looks like a rear shock for M Adaptive is 37126861777 and $245 online (dealership parts dept), compared to $111 (dealership parts dept) for the standard rear shock

A front shock is 37106866515 and 37106866516 and $275 online (dealership parts dept), compared to $163 (ECS)

That's a lot better than I thought it would be.
ImageImage

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

Thanks for the info. I have 3500 miles of street driving on the car at this point. I have to say I love the suspension so far and would consider that price difference worth it if the replacement intervals are equivalent and there isn't a ton more expenses around related sensors and electronics. The track may be a different story

Bottom line, I think long term maintenance on any current generation BMW is going to make an e46 seem like a fox platform Mustang from a cost standpoint. I did opt for a 6-speed which will hopefully prove as cost effective as all the ones my past bimmers.

Adaptive suspension, turbos, DCT, adaptive headlights, selectable electronic throttle and steering, etc and a kazillion sensors to drive it all really is scary long term compared to past generations. Maybe this is the point at which I find an e36 or e46 for HPDEs and leave the advanced technology for the commute and weekend drives. It would certainly be the better route to improving my track skills

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

nj325ci wrote:Thanks for the info. I have 3500 miles of street driving on the car at this point. I have to say I love the suspension so far and would consider that price difference worth it if the replacement intervals are equivalent and there isn't a ton more expenses around related sensors and electronics. The track may be a different story
Thing is - you don't have to replace adjustable suspension with the same OEM parts when they fail.
If you decide to upgrade with an eye towards track, you can eventually throw on a set of KW / Bilstein / Ohlin coil-overs.

The only time M adaptive makes no sense if if you intend to upgrade the suspension within the first year of ownership. In that case, upgrading OEM static setup is a waste of money.
nj325ci wrote:Adaptive suspension, turbos, DCT, adaptive headlights, selectable electronic throttle and steering, etc and a kazillion sensors to drive it all really is scary long term compared to past generations. Maybe this is the point at which I find an e36 or e46 for HPDEs and leave the advanced technology for the commute and weekend drives. It would certainly be the better route to improving my track skills
Perhaps.
Just don't forget to glue one eye-ball to the rear view mirror for all those endless pass-by's to all the folks driving with the latest goodies ;-)

a

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

This review by an instructor supports your point about new tech passing old on the track

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189021

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

The replacement costs don't seem that bad, based on what Brent posted. Consider that a MCS single adjustable suspension will run you $3K, plus camber plates and all the assorted extras you need to make it worth the investment. Quite frankly, if you plan to be going to the track a lot, leave the 2 series at home and get an E36/E46 that you won't feel bad about stripping the interior from. Trust me, it will happen. For the most part, the newer cars aren't great for extended track duty as they don't have the aftermarket support and knowledge base of the older models. Just my $.02.

Jeff
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually