Thule Cargo boxes - are they compatible?

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
sgoatley2001e46

Thule Cargo boxes - are they compatible?

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Does anyone have a Thule car top carrier box with the "tool free quick-grip mounting system"? If so, are you using the BMW cross bars? I have an e90 with the accessory cross bars. I don't have any accessories mounted to them, but typically just put my skis and snowboard up there. Looking for more storage on long trips (have a spare tire in the trunk - gave up run flats), and considering purchasing a roof top box.

If you have experience with these boxes and mounting, would you mind sharing your opinion?

Thanks!
Scott

dwolter

Re: Thule Cargo boxes - are they compatible?

Post by dwolter »

I have a Thule box with the "quick-grip tool-free ratchet system" (my own catchy moniker) that I've used on Thule bars (both square and aero), BMW bars, and also factory cross bars on a Subaru Outback. They grab quite well onto just about anything and have plenty of fore and aft movement to fit just about anything. I'd highly recommend the box. I also found it to be relatively quiet on the many roofs I've used it on - certainly less noise than the open style ski or snowboard racks. The one I have also opens and locks from both sides.

sgoatley2001e46

That's really good to know, thanks so much! I'm looking at the Thule Force Alpine (probably the narrowest one I can find so I can fit my bike on the roof too). We don't need a ton of extra space, but do need/want to make up for the fact that I'm carrying a spare tire. I guess the BMW cross bars are probably comparable to the "aero" bars from Thule being that they are oval shaped.

I take it when you say they "grab quite well", you mean that it latches on and once it's set, there's no movement or wiggling of the box on the cross bars?

dwolter

Post by dwolter »

That's the box I have. I chose it for the exact reason of being narrow and having the ability to mount it alongside bike racks. On my X5 I could fit it along with two quick-release fork mount Thule racks.

I believe the BMW Aero bars are actually made by Thule - or certainly at least some of them are.

As for the "grab well" comments - your read on my words was correct. They mount extremely secure to the load bars. I experienced no loosening, shaking, sliding or any other such trait you flat out wouldn't want to have happen.

I largely used the box on an X5 mounted to aero crossbars carrying two snowboards and skis along with whatever luggage I could fit in it with the gear. I was not shy in loading it up. Biggest challenge was reaching all the way into the box when on the roof an the X5 - and I'm tall!

Hope that helps.

sgoatley2001e46

This is actually a great help, and great relief! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. For the moment, we figure the Thule box is cheaper than a new (bigger) car. I'm glad to see you're using it the exact same way because it's a good comparison and experience for me. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

dbcafy

Post by dbcafy »

borrowing your thread Scott :-)

for the E90, are you guys using the BMW brand base and bars or some other brand. Thinking about putting on a bike rack on my roof.

Thanks,
Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

sgoatley2001e46

No problem, Dave!

I haven't put a bike rack on my roof...yet. I like the BMW cross bars because of ease of installation and removal on demand, and they don't touch the paint. If you want to see mine, I'm happy to meet up sometime and show you. They're on the car now.

As for the bike rack, I built my own for our truck, and I am considering doing the same for the BMW. That said, cosmetically, I'm also considering buying one (a fork mount/quick release style). The BMW cross bars should be compatible with most roof mount bike racks though. I think my brother said AutoAnything.com had some options for my car, but I haven't looked yet.