NJ Collector Vehicle Program

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
nickv

NJ Collector Vehicle Program

Post by nickv »

I have a 1987 325ic with 82k miles. I want to apply for the Collector Vehicle program in NJ so I don't have to go through inspection. I need a letter from a BMW club stating that this car was a limited run or very few are left on the road. Check out this link:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/coll ... hicles.htm

I picked up the application yesterday at DMV and it looks like they have relaxed the requirements for the initial app. In addition to the vehicle being "limited production run", they've added "or that a limited quantity of the original production run remains".

Does anyone know how I can get this letter? It must be on the car club's letterhead.

This program use to be real easy to get into. I also have a 1964 Vette that has had a Collector Vehicle inspection sticker since the program began. My research found that there was alot of abuse going on out of the Lakewood DMV of this program and it was slated to be eliminated. Instead, they made the initial app harder to get.

Thanks, Nick

cfaust

Post by cfaust »

You also need limited use or collector insurance. If you have that, try contacting your insurance company and asking them to provide the letter.

Hagerty did this for my e30 m3, which I registered under these more stringent rules about 2 years ago.
1996 318ti - Street
1989 325is - Track
1988 M3 - Garage
2005 Expedition - Tow

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

Why is your 64 Vette on Collector and not Antique QQ plates? Less issues and no need to go to inspection every two years for mileage verification.

Both of my 77 320i's are on QQ.
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

nickv

Collector Vehicle Program

Post by nickv »

To "320iJT",
I put my 64 Vette in the program when it first came out. It's easy to renew and besides, I like the insp sticker and I wanted to keep my "Shore to Please" license plates. In the first few years of driving around with this, I got pulled over twice by cops that had never seen this and were curious. It was quite funny. I'm also very active in keeping tabs on abusers of this program.
Also, technically, you're only suppose to use QQ or Antique plated vehicles to go to sanctioned activities. I know everyone will jump on me for saying this because it's never enforced.

To "cfaust",
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I do have American Collectors Ins. Co. for both the Vette and the BMW. I've been with them since the early '90s. Thanks for the advice, I will contact them with that request.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Nickv,

Please let us know how you make out with the Collector Vehicle registration for the E30iC. I know several members who have their E30 M3s registered as collector cars, but as of yet I know of no one with a non-M3 E30 so registered. The E30iC certainly meets the 'limited production run" criterion.

As for New Jersey QQ plates, the paperwork that came with my QQs indicates that the vehicle is to be used for "purposes of education or exhibition". Although I have never been bothered, I am certain the police will be happy to enforce the QQ-plate restrictions if given an excuse or reason to do so.

Vic

gfield

Post by gfield »

In New York," You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades." from NYS DMV website. FYI. I was looking into it for my E36 M3.

dngo

Post by dngo »

gfield wrote:In New York," You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades." from NYS DMV website. FYI. I was looking into it for my E36 M3.
It's the same in NJ. I just went through this with my E36M3 sedan. You have to prove that you have another vehicle that you use for daily transportation.

For NJ DMV, all I had to do was show some internet or print reference that showed how many vehicles were made. In my case, I printed out a Wikipedia page that showed that less than 8,000 E36M3 sedans were produced and that was sufficient.

Dave

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

what does it cost you all for collector registration? insurance?

thanks!
Brent

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

dngo

Post by dngo »

BJerolimic wrote:what does it cost you all for collector registration? insurance?

thanks!
Brent
Collector registration is $25+regular registration the first year, then $10+regular registration each following year. I am paying ~$400 a year with declared value and $0 deductible with Hagerty.

Dave

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

thanks Dave.

I looked into Hagerty but their lowest allowed Declared Value is 15k, and my iX is not worth near that. So my quote came out @400 like yours. Total savings including registration is < 100 a year.

I checked google and so far of the sites I've gotten quotes from, Grundy is the cheapest (they allowed me to declare value of 5k, so that's a big part of the difference) coming it at just over $100 for the year. I have to find out more about their limitations on mileage etc but that may be an option where I could keep my iX (wifey isn't very keen on 4 cars, especially with cost to insure, etc... but if I can get that cost down maybe I can scam her into keeping all 4 hehe)

anyone have any experience with Grundy?

edit: more reading, they seem too good to be true:

http://www.grundy.com/faqs/

what's the catch here? if there is none, $100 a year for a car I only use in winter is totally doable (note: I only commute 1 day every week or two. but do take ski trips, etc)

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

E30M3

Post by E30M3 »

I suppose it depends on how finely you dice the numbers:

- Total worldwide production of E30 convertibles was 143,424.
- Total production of the 325iC model was 85,246.
- Total production of the 325iC model for the U.S. market was 49,016: 29,880 automatics and 19,136 5-speeds.

Does this qualify as limited production? I can’t answer for the NJ MVC, as they don’t put a figure on “limited.”

Al323i

Post by Al323i »

Is there an 'official' site where these production numbers are pulled from? I believe that you would need to reference the source for the NJ MVC.

Al323i

Post by Al323i »

Here is the response I received back from BMWNA when I asked if they could provide me with production data:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the production figures for our vehicles. It is BMW's policy not to release sales, production, and import figures for BMW models.

I apologize if this causes any inconvenience. We trust you will understand our position on this matter.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Hahn
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

BJerolimic wrote: anyone have any experience with Grundy?
I have Grundy on both 1977 320i's, my 1980 Formula Firebird as well as Sandys 1990 Mustang GT. They are excellent and have "unlimited mileage" as long as you are using it for pleasure use.

I drove my 1978 Trans Am I had at the time to the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio about 5 years ago. I had Grundy insure this car as well. We put about 1600 mlies just with that trip alone. On the way back, we tagged a retread in the road that took out the front spoiler, damaged the front nose paint, and took out the side spoiler and damaged some of the rocker paint. They said get two estimates from some shops and I will be hearing from an adjuster. When I spoke with the adjuster he asked who I wanted to fix the car, I told them the shop and he said "OK we will send you a check to repair the car" - it was that easy. My rates never went up and I still have them today.

Here's a pic of the T/A after it was fixed:

~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

dngo

Post by dngo »

Al323i wrote:Here is the response I received back from BMWNA when I asked if they could provide me with production data:
A photocopy out of a book or some internet resource is fine - I used a Wikipedia reference.

Dave