Another e21 follows me home

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
320iJT

Another e21 follows me home

Post by 320iJT »

Yup, its true, another e21 finds it way to my hands thanks to Hank Farber. This was Ross's old 1977 320i he sold to Hank a couple years ago. Good thing these are small cars because I am out of space! I am not sure exactly what I am going to do with it but initial plans are making it road worthy. Next would be stripping it and painting it black to match my other 77 e21. I am not fond of Sierra Beige. The interior was mostly converted over to black but the drivers Recaro needs to be recovered and the carpet is still tan. Finally some suspension mods and light engine mods are future projects to make it a fun autox ride. Expect to read about this in up coming newsletter articles.
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Two words...

Spec E21
ImageImage

kishg

Post by kishg »

JT can start an entire race group just by himself :)

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

kishg wrote:JT can start an entire race group just by himself :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

A little update. The old bird rides again! I put 4 new tires on it, a little cleaning and lots of little parts from my stock pile. Its becoming a decent car. I took it for its first drive last night. About 5 miles just to see how it is. Today I drove it to work (about another 5 miles). By the end of the week, I am going to buff the paint out so at least what doesn't have surface rust (small spots here and there) will shine.

A couple things I still have to do:

1. No turn signals. Might be the hazard swtich.
2. Speedo is broken. Luckily I have another one
3. Sunroof crank - yup, got that in stock as well

I have a carpet from a parts car that is dark so I can complete the tan to black conversion. It might find some glory after all.

Stay tuned! A newsletter article is in the works...
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

Looking forward to the updates JT!

Which one will you bring to the rally??
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

The black e21 will make the rally. I still haven't had enough time to drive the tan one to make sure it would last all those hours. When a car sits, the hoses get nasty and the thermostat can get held up. I usually take little steps when I put a car back on the road after sitting.

First is obviously get it running.
Second is to start off on small trips. Get the car up to temperature and make sure it doesn't overheat
Third is to double check all the fuel lines and coolant lines for leakage.
Forth is start going longer distances and try out highway speeds.

A few test runs will determine what other items it needs. Right now it just seems like basic stuff like a tune up, fluid changes, wiper blades and the items I listed above. Once that is done, then I can focus my attention to cosmetic items.
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

Buffed the paint out today. A teaser pic until I can go down and do a photoshoot with it.
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i