Buying a Helmet

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
Timmah

Buying a Helmet

Post by Timmah »

So I'm kinda picky about things like fit (especially since I have glasses) and need to buy my first helmet for racing.

Are there any places local to the Bridgewater area that sell helmets for autocross?

cfaust

Post by cfaust »

I think driving impressions is the closest...up in Dover.

http://www.teamdi.com/
1996 318ti - Street
1989 325is - Track
1988 M3 - Garage
2005 Expedition - Tow

RealM3E30

Bell/Helmet

Post by RealM3E30 »

For glasses, a good one is the Bell M-4, wide eye area opening. R 8)

rpob5t

Post by rpob5t »

+1 on Driving Impressions/ TeamDI THey usually have quite a bit in stock ready to try on

Stop by and see Bob or Steve, they will take good care of you.
Greg
04 mini cooper S -daily driver / 87 325is weekend track toy

davidmcintyre

Post by davidmcintyre »

I've never worn a helmet without wearing glasses, although I don't normally wear prescription glasses on track. Racing rules require that you either wear eye protection or have your visor down, and that's a recipe for boiling.

Sunglasses are probably not such great impact protection, but I've never seen a steward reject the concept.

In any case, I've worn many different helmets, and always have put on a pair of glasses afterwards. On the TNL, we put our helmets on and off perhaps 12 times a day in hurried conditions for 6 days in a row, and glasses went on and off each time.

I suspect head shape will be as big a factor for you. Make sure you try different brands. Stand-21 is one of the highest quality (and most expensive) professional-level racing gear manufacturers. I love my Stand-21 suit, and both Ross and I lusted after their carbon fiber super lightweight helmets, but they didn't fit either of our heads. Try on a lot of different brands, sizes, styles, etc. Buy the first one at least from an actual retail store. Once you know your brand and size you can buy new ones off the web for cheaper.

=Dave

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

>>Try on a lot of different brands, sizes, styles, etc.<< Good advice.

After you get your new helmet, get used to wearing it prior to using it while driving.

Vic

MikeP

Post by MikeP »

You can also try Stable Energies in North Jersey. They arent far from Giants Stadium. They carry Bell helmets which have large eyeports. I believe they also have Simpson and Pyrotec helmets. They have a small store but a great deal of inventory and the staff is pretty knowledgable also.

JERSEYJIM

Post by JERSEYJIM »

Stable Energies 175 Passaic Street Garfield, NJ 07026 (973) 773-3177 is where the club purchased some of its loaner helmets. I also wear glasses and purchased the Bell M4 from stable energies. Try them on the do vary, I had a medium that felt bigger than a large.
NJBMWCCA Registrar
89 E30 M3
91 E30 318is track toy
99 F350 Dually toy hauler
04 525i
03 330 ZHP

colin

Post by colin »

My minority opinion:

For autocrosses and HPDEs sponsored by NJBMWCCA, Snell "M" rated (Motorcycle) helmets are sufficient. These tend to be much cheaper, easier to find, and better looking than "SA" helmets (for dedicated automobile racing). There's also guaranteed to be a much wider variety of sizes, shapes, and styles available.

Snell "M" rated helmets can be found virtually any place that sells motorcycles or ATVs. My first suggestion for you is Green Brook Cycle and Marine right on Rt 22: http://www.gbcycle.com/

Good luck.