E39 Audio Question

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
E30325

E39 Audio Question

Post by E30325 »

I recently bought a low milage (35K) 2002 530i (E39). Unfortunately it has a really bad pixel problem in the MID (it is not as bad in the instrument cluster only a few pixels missing there). I have searching the internet and called several salvage yards but I can't find any working replacement units. Mine has DSP. So I am looking at what options are and I am considering putting in an aftermarket stereo with ipod, bluetooth plus adapter for steering wheel controls. Looking on-line at Crutchfield, they say I also have to replace my BMW speakers and wiring. Is this true? What are my options if I can't find a MID unit? I am not a stereo nut so I am not looking to spend too much money. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Rolf

kishg

Re: E39 Audio Question

Post by kishg »

Nooo.. keep the MID. Call BMWNA and ask them about replacement. This was a common issue on e39s and they had a replacement scheme for them. If you want IPOD, BT via steering wheel cntrls look into the DICE adaptors, I believe they have one that works for DSP now. I am no audiophile and mostly listen to AM radio or Ipod when I drive, so I have no worries with the stock speakers/sound system and mine isn't even DSP.

E30325 wrote:I recently bought a low milage (35K) 2002 530i (E39). Unfortunately it has a really bad pixel problem in the MID (it is not as bad in the instrument cluster only a few pixels missing there). I have searching the internet and called several salvage yards but I can't find any working replacement units. Mine has DSP. So I am looking at what options are and I am considering putting in an aftermarket stereo with ipod, bluetooth plus adapter for steering wheel controls. Looking on-line at Crutchfield, they say I also have to replace my BMW speakers and wiring. Is this true? What are my options if I can't find a MID unit? I am not a stereo nut so I am not looking to spend too much money. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Rolf

E30325

Post by E30325 »

BMW NA has been covering the pixel issues in the instrument cluster but I haven't heard of them covering the MID. I did send a on-line request / letter to them yesterday and awaiting to hear back from them. If I can get the MID fixed, I would probably go with BSW's ipod upgrade. My MID is so bad that nothing readable so it is hard to find radio stations, CD tracks etc ... I would prefer to keep BMW set-up.
Rolf

kishg

Post by kishg »

E30325 wrote:BMW NA has been covering the pixel issues in the instrument cluster but I haven't heard of them covering the MID. I did send a on-line request / letter to them yesterday and awaiting to hear back from them. If I can get the MID fixed, I would probably go with BSW's ipod upgrade. My MID is so bad that nothing readable so it is hard to find radio stations, CD tracks etc ... I would prefer to keep BMW set-up.
Rolf

Rolf,

i've heard in some cases they offered to split costs. Have you tried looking on ebay for used MIDs?

-kish

E30325

Ebay

Post by E30325 »

I found one last night that I am going to bid on, but I need to set-up a new e-bay account since I haven't used mine in 4-5 years and have forgotten id and pw. I have found a few on various forums and boards and they have either been sold or the seller never gets back to me. I has been a frustating 4 weeks of trying to get one.

kishg

Post by kishg »

PM me the link and i will bid on it for you if you want.

E30325

Post by E30325 »

Kish -
Thanks for the offer. I can't send link as I am still in the office and e-bay is blocked here. If I can't get ebay account fixed tonight, I will take you up on the offer. Much appreciated.
Rolf

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

BMW did replace the MID in my E39 with the typical, they pay for the part, I paid an hour labor (for 5 minutes of work).

You need to ask nicely and be sure to let them know what a good customer you are and will be.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

E30325

Post by E30325 »

If BMW NA would pay for the part I would gladly pay for the labor!!! I did write a nice letter, telling them about being a long time multi BMW and brand loyal owner. You are the first I have heard that got the MID replaced, so there is hope after all.
Thanks,
Rolf

JeffNJM3

Post by JeffNJM3 »

You can also get yours repaired, VDO and BBA i believe both offer this service
Jeff Burgess
Member # 190685
1989 BMW M3
2001 BMW M3 vert
1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 vert - FOR SALE
2005 Nissan Xterra on 33's - FOR SALE

E30325

Post by E30325 »

JeffNJM3 wrote:You can also get yours repaired, VDO and BBA i believe both offer this service
I contacted one of the repair services that advertised it for $175 on-line, but qouted me $400-500 when I got a hold them.

I put in a bid on ebay for working used unit so hopefully I will get this solved soon.

Thanks,
Rolf