Contact at Verizon?

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
edw1

Post by edw1 »

I have plenty of hammers but not the time...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/WaterCooler/s ... 705&page=1
ImageImage

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I tried to get a quote on refinancing my mortgage and was rewarded with a 1/2% hit in APR thanks to Verizon falsely reporting my account had been charged off for something like $82n which I never owed them. Verizon actually sent me a check!

Since I told them in December that I wanted the problem fixed and that I didn't want anything negative on my credit report because of their error, I wonder if they are in violation of the Fair credit Reporting Act, specifically 15 USC 1681i which requires a response within 30 days. I preemptively requested they correct any issues rather than disputing via a credit reporting agency.

Crap. Now I have to spend more time on the phone with Trenton.
ImageImage

NJMC40

Post by NJMC40 »

edw1 wrote:I tried to get a quote on refinancing my mortgage and was rewarded with a 1/2% hit in APR thanks to Verizon falsely reporting my account had been charged off for something like $82n which I never owed them. Verizon actually sent me a check!

Since I told them in December that I wanted the problem fixed and that I didn't want anything negative on my credit report because of their error, I wonder if they are in violation of the Fair credit Reporting Act, specifically 15 USC 1681i which requires a response within 30 days. I preemptively requested they correct any issues rather than disputing via a credit reporting agency.

Crap. Now I have to spend more time on the phone with Trenton.
Ed other than working at Morristown MINI, I also own a small mortgage co. (since 1989) I can tell you that

1. rates are based on credit scores and not derogatory info from your report. Unless that derogatory information dropped your score to a point where there is a bump in the rate for that score.
(so while lenders have been stricter in 2007-2008, they rarely bump rates half a percent for one derogatory item if the rest of the credit report is strong) I'd check the integrity of your loan officer or broker to see if they just aren't trying to use something small on your credit file to bump the rate on you thereby making more money on their back end.

2. Verizon may not be at fault, sometimes it is the credit reporting agencies that drop the ball in updating your file. Usually once you make the creditor aware that there is a discrepancy, they can correct it by contacting the bureaus and or providing you with a paid in full letter.

My first step would be contact all three credit agencies, supply them with a dispute letter and your supporting documentation in this case a copy of the Verizon check. They will have about 30 days to contact Verizon and correct your credit file.
90 E30 M3
04 E46 M3
04 Cooper S MC40 1 of 1000
02 525i Touring M Pkg
99 M Coupe
02 745li
99 328ci M Sport
07 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
01 911 Turbo
89 911 Cabriolet
15 Macan S
09 Cayenne GTS
18 Range Rover Velar
16 Range Rover Evoque
16 C300 4M

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I was going through USAA for the mortgage so I believe them when they say my credit rating took a hit from a CHARGE OFF on my credit report. In years past (mortgage, refi, HELOC), the quick and dirty rate quoted online by USAA is the one I have ended up with after the credit check and paperwork. This is the first time I ended up with a rate higher than the initial quote.

I immediately got my free annual credit reports via the only legitimate free site, annualcreditreport.com. I also immediately fired off disputes to all three dirtbag credit reporting agencies.

What sucks is that the 4.875% rate I could have locked in today (without said charge off) may go up by the time the deispute is resolved.

Verizon is poison. The one thing that keeps me warm at night is the fact that three people at my old job have avoided FIOS service in favor of internet/TV/phone via their cable providers because of my monthly billing. One guy even admitted he looked forward to my monthly conversations with Verizon. After a few months, he could even give me my usual 60 second summary that I used with every Verizon customer service rep.

EDIT: Shorten that sig picture. I hate scrolling sideways. :)
ImageImage

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I forgot about one more detail. In addition to the Dec. 2008 charge off, Verizon also shows me being delinquent in early 2008, well before I canceled service.

I think its time to explain my frustration to Verizon with a large hammer. First, I'll call the double secret customer service phone numbers to tell them my complaint is still open and active. If I do not get a call back by this afternoon, I'll file another complaint online with the NJ Board of Public Utilities.

http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/

Some of my notes from December:

> fri dec 26, 3:16pm from 908-[xxx-xxxx], 58 sec.
>
> [name redacted] - fios installation team confirmed they billed 80.33
> incorrectly billed taking out of "treatment"
> will mail a new bill
> 908-[xxx-xxxx]

> fri dec 26 3:55pm from 805-[xxx-xxxx], 1 min 22 sec
> [name redacted] verizon customer relations
> They found error.
> request has been made to zero balance
> will send letter confirming this
> 800-[xxx-xxxx]
> direct line 805-[xxx-xxxx]