No more license plate tags?!?

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
jont

No more license plate tags?!?

Post by jont »

That's what they told me when I renewed my registration today!

Why couldn't they have done this last year, when I renewed, and forgot to put them on for 5 months (after I was ticketed for not having 'em on)?

edw1

Post by edw1 »

They stopped issuing registration stickers for license plates this year.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_plates/sticker_faq.htm
Effective October 1, 2004, the MVC has discontinued issuing the registration decals for passenger automobiles that were formally applied to license plates to display the expiration of the current registration. Car dealers and Motor Vehicle Agencies will no longer provide these stickers. MVC will also stop including the decals with the registrations renewed by mail.
ImageImage

e30techDOTcom

Post by e30techDOTcom »

FYI, when you buy a car from the dealer, you have to purchase 4 years worth of registration...

dougdogs

Post by dougdogs »

e30techDOTcom wrote:FYI, when you buy a car from the dealer, you have to purchase 4 years worth of registration...
Or lease :|

e30techDOTcom

Post by e30techDOTcom »

dougdogs wrote:
e30techDOTcom wrote:FYI, when you buy a car from the dealer, you have to purchase 4 years worth of registration...
Or lease :|
Yeah?

So how does that work when you do a 36 month lease? Do they reimburse you for that year you didn't use?

fuenfer

Post by fuenfer »

You do? Maybe it's because I purchased my car from an NY state dealer (though it was immediately registered in NJ -- after a brief tour of Europe via ED :)), but I've only had one-year registrations. However, I did get the four-year inspection sticker ...

TheRasGuy

Yet another 'hidden' tax

Post by TheRasGuy »

I was pretty peeved over this also - the state knows that most people lease a vehicle for 3 years (32-38 months) so they get a year's additional revenue from you on every lease for nothing. There is no credit for unused registration $$$.

IF you have a set of plates make sure the dealer transfers them for you - while it may be a bigger pain in the butt for the dealer - it will save you a bit in the end.