Hans vs Schroth

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
dbcafy

Hans vs Schroth

Post by dbcafy »

Hey Folks,
02/01/2021 and it is still snowing outside. Perfect time to plan my track events this year :D
Looking to get a new Head & Neck Restraint. What are your experiences with the Hans HNR vs the Schroth SHR Flex? Any other recommendations?

Cheers,
Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

mcahn

Re: Hans vs Schroth

Post by mcahn »

Hi, I can't exactly answer your question, since I'm not familiar with the Schroth, except for the information I see on their web site. I have a HANS which seems to work fine. I have not "tested" it. The Schroth seems like a newer design with some nice features -- whether they make any practical difference I can't say. I also have a Simpson Hybrid, for use in student cars, since it doesn't require a harness. I think it's probably not as effective as the HANS, but presumably better than nothing.

When I bought the HANS I think there was a choice of models, with lighter ones being more expensive. After I started using it I realized this didn't seem very important, since the harness presses down on it anyway. Maybe the weight matters for an endurance race; for an HPDE session I don't think it matters.

You should consider if your harness is compatible with whichever one you get. My car had 3" belts when I bought it, and they had "Not HANS compatible" printed on them. I eventually replaced them with compatible harnesses.

Best,
Matthew

dbcafy

Re: Hans vs Schroth

Post by dbcafy »

I got the Hans III. The Schroth felt a little heavier. Make sure you try the harness for size, I was fitted with the Schroth medium but a large with the Hans.

Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)