Are 986 Boxsters allowed for HPDE?

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
Bizarre

Are 986 Boxsters allowed for HPDE?

Post by Bizarre »

I'm thinking of picking up a 1st-gen Boxster to daily drive, and to take to the track once or twice a year. I know this chapter's general rule against convertibles without roll cages, but I was wondering if anyone ran the Brey-Krausse rollbar extension.http://www.bkauto.com/R_3030_Roll_Bar_E ... r-3030.htm It's non-invasive, and made specifically to allow the use of helmets with the factory roll bars. Does anyone have experience with this or something similar? I'd rather not cage a car whose main use is on the street.

Thanks!
Vlad

JERSEYJIM

Re: Are 986 Boxsters allowed for HPDE?

Post by JERSEYJIM »

The NJBMW rule is no convertibles regardless of the rollbar. The only exception to this rule is a SCCA spec Miata with a full cage and the bolt on hard top. The cage and car must have a current SCCA inspection with proper logbooks.
NJBMWCCA Registrar
89 E30 M3
91 E30 318is track toy
99 F350 Dually toy hauler
04 525i
03 330 ZHP

jwhite

Re: Are 986 Boxsters allowed for HPDE?

Post by jwhite »

Let me add that we would allow a Spec Boxter but that would also have a full cage, logbook and a bolted-on hardtop. So, again, not what you are looking for in a car that is primarily driven on the street. We understand your dilemma. Rollovers in a DE are extremely rare but they can and do happen so we choose to be on the side of safety.

Jeff