Petition to stop EPA proposal to limit track car conversions

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
jwhite

Petition to stop EPA proposal to limit track car conversions

Post by jwhite »

Please note that this post is my personal opinion/request and does not reflect a position taken by the Board or any committee of the chapter.

I am sure that we all support clean air and water. No one wants children poisoned from drinking water whether it is in Flint or along the Colorado river. No one wants the shore to wash away from stronger storms due to climate change. Indeed my business is focused on the renewable energy industry. Being in the business gives me a special soap box to stand on and say that we need sensible regulation and policy from the federal government - the focus needs to be on the big ways we can limit pollution, not by wasting time and resources on things that are so far on the fringe as to be inconsequential.

The EPA has just proposed a new potential enforcement on regulation on conversion of street vehicles into racing or other track-only vehicles. Here is a Jalopnik article that explains the rules will likely come down on after-market parts suppliers and the use of those parts in street-track dual use cars: http://jalopnik.com/the-epas-crackdown- ... 1758111546 . In NJ our dual use cars still need cats to pass inspection so this does not immediately effect us. However, to the extent that this enforcement changes "Spec" classes in racing and amateur racing series more generally, it does effect us because we need those various series to stay viable to keep tracks profitable and keep our sport alive.

If you wish to have your voice heard on this matter and stop the EPA's proposed regulation change, there is a petition here that you can sign:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petit ... racecars-0

Track events will get greener as cars become more efficient, renewable fuels become available and new technologies emerge. Let's work on those things.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Jeff