Using a car that has been in an accident for HPDE

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
roberttran

Using a car that has been in an accident for HPDE

Post by roberttran »

I was rearended last month while on i76. Everyone was fine, but my trunk got a good whack.

Both frame rails were compressed inward, but the car is still drivable and straight (after some cutting and prying). I've repaired the lights so all of my tail lights work, but there is no longer a bumper cover. The structural bumper is intact. The trunk is is currently held closed with bungee cord.

Would my car in it's current condition pass safety inspection? The car is stable with all the lights functional. The only issue I can forsee is that if the car is rear ended again, the rear end will be completely toast.

I don't want to put too much money and energy into my car to get it track worthy again.

Thanks
1998 BMW 328i
BMWCCA #345491

gfield

Post by gfield »

Have the car tech inspected at a garage before the event, direct any specific questions before the event to Vic Lucariello Chief of Tech.

Greg Field
Boston Green 1997 E36 M3 Coupe

michaellang

Post by michaellang »

I've been involved with grid tech for a number of years now with another club and after reviewing the track inspection checklist your question falls under the very first item. I would think your best bet would be to speak with the tech chair and explain the situation. Personally, since your ride has already been battered you might as well jump in with both feet and make it a full on track car :D :D !!

rpob5t

Post by rpob5t »

I'd defintaely talk to Vic first but the non-functioning trunk latch would be a major hangup for me; I think that would fall under the "no loose/unsecured body work checkmark.

Also to be honest I'd fail you for tech @ an auto-x (I'm a saftery steward for NNJR-SCCA solo events) based on that; things that can flap in the breeze can also fly in it too.
Greg
04 mini cooper S -daily driver / 87 325is weekend track toy

roberttran

Post by roberttran »

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll get in contact with the chief of tech.

There's nothing on the car that is loose. My plan for the trunk is to drill and install a latch that I can padlock to the body.

I did my own inspection of the car this past weekend and the only things I need to replace are the transmission mounts and exhaust mounts. Other than the trunk and rubber mounts, the car won't have anything potentially loose.

This will definitely become a cheap track car / backup car.
My big question was whether the car would pass inspection because the crumple zone in the rear has been compromised and there's no bumper cover covering the structural bumper.
1998 BMW 328i
BMWCCA #345491

jwhite

Post by jwhite »

Robert,

Vic has the last word on what is acceptable but here are my comments.

1. The trunk lid must be secure in such a way that it cannot come loose at speed.

2. I would check your exhaust VERY carefully. I can say from experience that a rear end collision can lead to cracks in the exhaust as far forward as the headers. You need to be certain there are no leaks. The fact that you need to replace the mounts is significant.

3. Your battery must still be securely mounted.

4. You must still have the ability to install a tow hook in the rear.

5. All 3 of your rear brake lights must work.

6. I would also take the car to a 4-wheel alignment shop to be certain that everything is still straight and that none of the suspension mounting points moved in the accident. Even a small change can alter handling and may not be obvious in a cursory examination.

7. Carefully check and/or replace your differential mount.

8. Have the mounting points for the rear subframe checked carefully.

9. Check or replace your rear shock absorber mounts. Again, if you need to replace the transmission mounts, it suggests you took a substantial hit that transmitted force throughout the drivetrain and suspension. Torn rubber bushings may not be apparent under rest conditions.

Our concerns are much less about cosmetics and much more about structural integrity. You should have the car examined by someone who has seen various structural problems and knows what to look for.

Jeff

kishg

Post by kishg »

robert,

I think jeff pretty much covered it. I would get the car put up on a lift and checked for any issues. When our x5 got rear-ended earlier this year (25-30mph speeds on a local road), I was surprised to discover that the exhaust system was bent/cracked at the headers. The entire length of the exhaust was replaced as part of the repair. Definitely get it on an alignment rack too. Hope to see you at the track soon!

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Robert,

Jeff and Kish provide some valuable information. Please take it to heart.

I am concerned about your statement that the "frame rails" were displaced. Have they been restored to original position and verified by measurements, preferably on a "frame machine"? Even a small displacement of the "frame rails" can skew the rear-alignment beyond the range of adjustment.

I think what you need to do in addition to a rigorous mechanical-item inspection/restoration is have the car examined by a qualified body-repair technican to determine if the car is track worthy from a structural standpoint.

Our driver-school event-eve and event-day "Tech" [which takes only a couple minutes], in which we do not get under the cars, cannot possibly determine the track worthiness of even a non-damaged car. It is your responsibility to have the car properly inspected, prepared, repaired, etc. for our driving events. By signing the Tech Form, you are certifying that you have in fact done this.

At event "Tech", we look for operating brake lamps, a secure battery, a trunk lid that is apparently secured, an exhaust system that is apparently secured, etc.

Vic
NJ Chief of Tech