Track car... need advice

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
staianoa

M3 or E30

Post by staianoa »

If you're interested in an E36 M3 check out this one with the price drop!

viewtopic.php?t=4549

That said, I was using my E90 335i for track duty for about one full season (four DE's) and I finally got an E30. Though it seemed like a bargain, I've already dropped THOUSANDS more into it for tires, oil leaks, and other track goodies. Still, it's WAY more fun than the E90 on the track and it would be much less expensive "oops" should something unfortunate occur (knocking on wood right now!). No matter what you do, I think you'll benefit from something dedicated to the track. Good luck!!

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

Everybody,

a big thanks for all the valuable comments/input so far. I have the following additional questions though:

- what max mileage would you recommend I should be looking for on an e36 M3?

- what would be the best source to find a used one? Websites like Cars.com or autotraders.com or something else?

- on the few websites I have checket out, it is amazing but ready to go track cars with all the upgrades seem cheaper than to buy a regular used one! Any comments?

Thanks again!
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Marc,

One thing I am learning the hard way is it is way easier and less hassle to buy a car that is already prepped.

Working on cars for me is a love/hate relationship. Some things end up being harder then you can plan for. That being said it is really nice to drive the fruits of you efforts and to know you personally torqued the bolts to your suspension and brakes to the correct torque 2x's to be on the safe side.

If you can find a good car already done it will allow you to enjoy driving it earlier. Don't worry you will get a chance to get your hands dirty if need be :D

Good Luck!

-Kev

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

I hear you Kev. In addition, I have neither the space, tools and knowledge (yet) to do all myself. As a result I was looking at things like this: http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1084 ... k-Car.html

See you soon,
Marc
kevnj wrote:Marc,

One thing I am learning the hard way is it is way easier and less hassle to buy a car that is already prepped.

Working on cars for me is a love/hate relationship. Some things end up being harder then you can plan for. That being said it is really nice to drive the fruits of you efforts and to know you personally torqued the bolts to your suspension and brakes to the correct torque 2x's to be on the safe side.

If you can find a good car already done it will allow you to enjoy driving it earlier. Don't worry you will get a chance to get your hands dirty if need be :D

Good Luck!

-Kev
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

RealM3E30

Track car

Post by RealM3E30 »

Marc, now ya need a trailer and tow vehicle, isn't this fun. R 8)

E30325

used race cars

Post by E30325 »

Marc,
I would also recommend buying a car already built, much cheaper and quicker. Just one piece of advice, if you have aspirations of going club racing, make sure that the car is built for a class and not just for HPDE duty. You could end spending lotsa of money reversing mods that the previous owner did, which do not comply with the class you had planned on running in. Good luck,
Rolf

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

+1 to Rolf's comment.
Also, make sure to get the car pre-purchase inspected by someone highly qualified. I would suggest Don Fields at Mr. M Car. Track cars take a real beating (as you know) and a track focused mechanic can really quickly pick out things. As for the E36 M3 buy in general, make sure to have a leak down/compression test done on the engine and get the computer scanned by a GT-1 computer to look for over-rev codes and such. Don is also a great guy to do this. He did a PPI on an E36 M3 for me a couple years ago and gave an honest opinion on the car. That's worth a lot down the line.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually