R3 Advice Requested

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
cbslocum

R3 Advice Requested

Post by cbslocum »

Hi, first time posting so I apologize if this has been asked before. I've attended 6 BMW Driver Schools in the past 2 years and I am interested in an R3 Head and Neck restraint. I have an e90 M3 with stock 3 point seat belt. Question: Is an R3 the right product if I am seeking better head and neck support? Question: I see there are several types of R3's available, what are the primary differences other than price? Thank you - Chris.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

This is my third season with the R3. Previously I had been using a "horse collar" helmet support. The reason I chose the R3 is that it is independent of seat type and harness type. It works with the 5-point harness in my racecar and it works with a stock 3-point belt if I am in a student's car.

When I bought mine, I recall 2 models of R3 were available. I chose the lesser expensive one. I believe the only difference was that it is slightly heavier than the more expensive model.

Vic

cbslocum

Post by cbslocum »

Thanks Vic for your help. Sounds like it's something I should save for and that the lesser expensive one should get the job done. I appreciate the feedback. Regards, Chris

m20power

Post by m20power »

I've been using the R3 for ~5yrs and like the device. I selected primarily because it will work in any student car I get into. You're options are limited with a stock 3-pt belt, so the R3 is a good choice.

I think the variants relate to weight and angle. Be sure to get the angle designed for sedan use. I would go with the "less light" model for your use.

HTH,

Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!

cbslocum

Post by cbslocum »

Thanks Bob for your reply as well. I have a question for both of you R3 Users: The R3 looks uncomfortable but I am told it actually isn't. Can you elaborate further from your experience? Further, I have read that some versions of the R3 require a seat pad to help in comfort. Since this seat pad isn't installed wouldn't it slide around on the track making it dificult to drive? Kind regards, Chris

m20power

Post by m20power »

In my track car I do have a seat pad that is cut to accept the R3. I think that this is more important in race seats with little padding. However, when I passenger in my track car (same seat w/o cut pad) or in other race seats I don't notice the R3 or consider it to be uncomfortable.

In street seats, I don't notice the back plane of the R3; I guess the softer seats just compress.

The most obtrusive feature is the constraint to head movement but this, of course, is the primary purpose of the device. I like to leave the helmet buckles detached while I'm driving around the paddock, and then buckle for the track.

HTH, Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!

xtnct

Post by xtnct »

Yes, there are several version.

You should read this: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

and http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/rage-series

As most already stated, there are version for open wheel cockpit type seating positions and ones for regular car seats. There are the lighter ones ones made from Carbon fiber, and heavier made from composite. I use the composite one due to price.

When choosing, you need to get the correct size. I think there are 3 different sizes.

I have the pad but never use it. I found it more uncomfortable with it than without it. The comfort was never an issue for me, the lack of movement is that takes more time to get used to, especially in the passenger seat.

Best advice I can give you is to try it before you buy and sit in the garage in a car with it all on. Better yet, get your helmet prepped with the hardware kit and then borrow one for a session at the track. You are welcome to try mine for a session as long as I am not using it.

cbslocum

R3 Advice Requested

Post by cbslocum »

Thanks everyone for your responses. Agreed, I should probably get my helmet prepped and then borrow one to see if i can get used to the restrictive movement. Appreciate all of the advice - kind regards, Chris Slocum